IGFE PHY 7001
The students, at the end of the course, are able to:
- Identify the main microwave components
- Explain the way they work
- Design a simple microwave system
- Deploy a simple microwave system experimentally and analyse their performance, by groups of two students
Introduction to microwaves
Noise and non-linearities
• Noise factor and temperature of noise.
• FRIIS formula.
• 1dB compression point.
• 3rd order intercept point.
• Noise measurements
• Non-linearity measurements
• Radiating electric and magnetic fields.
• Characteristic parameters: gain, efficiency, radiating pattern, polarisation, capture area, beamwidth.
• Free-space propagation path loss.
Lines and Smith chart
• RLC model.
• Power transfer function.
• VSWR, return loss.
• Smith chart.
• S parameters.
• 2 and 3 port junctions (filters, attenuators, etc.).
• 4 port junction (directional couplers).
Network analyzer measurements
Introduction to a Simulation tool